yesterday's technology tomorrow
Thursday, March 18, 2004Bagels
On Sunday I made some very very yummy bagels....the best ever!!!
Here are some pics. The recipe is below for those interested.
A plate full
Happy Ben with bubbly
Bagel Recipe (makes 10-14 bagels)
You will need
4 cups plain flour
2 tsp salt
2 sachets of yeast or around 20-25g of natural yeast
3 tbl sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 egg yolk
2 tbl oil
poppy or seasame seeds to cover
1. Cream the yeast with 1tbl sugar and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Let stand for 10-15 mins
2. Mix Flour, salt, remaining sugar in big bowl with lukewarm milk and remaining water, egg yolk and oil. You may need to add an extra 1/4 cup water to make it fairly stiff dough.
3. Knead the dough well and put in bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough, knead again. Divide dough into 10-14. Roll each portion into a 20cm long rope. Coil rope into a bagel shape, moisten and squeeze the bit that joins the ends. Put them down for 10 mins to raise a little.
5. Slide a few bagels at a time (4 max unless you have a super size saucepan) into boiling water. Let them sit for 1 min the turn over with a slotted spoon. Turn them over and leave for another 1-2 mins. They will swell really nicely and look like uncooked yummy bagels.
6 Finally, put the bagels onto a greased tray (or oven bake paper) brush with egg white and water then sprinkle poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Bake at 200 for 15-20 mins or until golden and bagel-ish.
Random Pile of Ben
ben at neuronwave dot com